What’s In-Store for You:
Perhaps you can relate… I’ve often said that I’d love to write a book – but to be honest, I’m just so overwhelmed. I don’t really know where to start, I’m not sure if my ideas are even good enough to be put into a book, and then there’s the publishing aspect… who would want to publish my book? George & I agreed that we wanted to know more about the whole process of Publishing a book, from thoughts to book – so we asked an expert to answer our queries.
Here’s a few reasons why we chose todays guest, Mr. Joel Friedlander to chat with us on the topic of Book Publishing:
- Joel Friedlander (@JFBookman) is an award-winning book designer, blogger, and writer.
- He’s been launching the careers of self-publishers since 1994 from his book design and consulting practice at Marin Bookworks in San Rafael, California.
- Joel is the author of A Self-Publisher’s Companion: Expert Advice for Authors Who Want to Publish, and the coauthor of The Self-Publisher’s Ultimate Resource Guide.
- He is a columnist for Publishers Weekly, and Writer’s Digest has named him as one of the 10 people to follow in book publishing.
- Joel writes TheBookDesigner, a popular blog on book design, book marketing and the future of the book.
- He’s also the founder of The Self-Publishing Roadmap, an online, video-based training course in book publishing.
- In 2013, with Tracy R. Atkins, Joel launched BookDesignTemplates.
com, where he provides pre-designed book templates for Microsoft Word and Adobe Indesign, as well as book marketing tools for authors.
- Joel is a past president of the Bay Area Independent Publishers Association.
- Connect with him on Google+.
Joel really knows his stuff when it comes to Book Publishing… So have a listen, take some notes, and then let us know if you too experienced an a-ha moment (or two) that has inspired you to consider Publishing a book for your Business?
Highlights and Takeaways Mentioned in this Episode:
As this is a topic of interest to both George & myself, we weren’t afraid to put Joel on the spot – asking him extensively about the things that need to be considered when you go down the path of writing a book and having it Published.
Here’s a few things that we asked:
- Why as a small business or entrepreneur should I want to write a book and have it published?
- What are the ways people can get a book published today, and what are the differences?
- I’m not a great writer -any tips on how I too can become a published author?
- What are some of the biggest challenges that you see people facing on the path to being published?
Our Goal was to provide you with a better understanding about Publishing & Self-Publishing, as a way to grow your Business, and show your Authority in your area of expertise. How did we do?
Do you have an interest in publishing a book for your business (or personally)? Perhaps you’ve already published a book… Care to share some of your experiences in this arena?
- Connect with Joel on Google+ or on Twitter @JFBookman or
- Joel shares his wisdom over at The Book Designer
- Joel is also the author of 2 books:
Body Types, published in the 1990s looks at how to tell what people are like just by looking at them.
A Self-Publisher’s Companion: Expert Advice for Authors Who Want to Publish.
- Joel also creates book design templates at BookDesignTemplates.com
- Or just Contact Joel to learn more about what he does.
Are you ready for the “Examination Room”? Joel may not have been (as he had no prior warning), but he sure handled it well. Of the 3 quotes I had as options for today’s guest, George chose the one by Seth Godin, (it was really quite fitting as a wrap up to our discussion on Publishing) and it goes like this…
“The future of publishing is about having connections to readers and the knowledge of what those readers want.” ~ Seth Godin
To see this quote along with other Inspiring & Motivating Quotes like this – head over to the ‘Empower Inspire Motivate’ Facebook page. Or just go to measurementdoctor.com/inspire
Would You Prefer To Watch The Interview?
Joel was game for recording the Podcast so our Listeners & Viewers like yourself received a video version too. Weigh in on this – do you prefer to just Listen to the Podcast Interviews or do you like having video so you can Watch & Listen? Let us know what you think – Your response will help us determine if we continue with video recordings – or if we just stick to the original Audio Podcasts.
The Measurement Doctor Podcast is on iTunes too:
- Did you like this episode – please leave us a Podcast Review on iTunes
- Haven’t subscribed to the Podcast yet – you can subscribe on iTunes or via RSS
- You can also find us on Stitcher